goingon
Citizens Talk Recycling To Sturgis City Commission
Monday, August 25, 2025

(STURGIS) – The topic of keeping recycling in Sturgis was addressed again during the August 13 City Commission meeting.

During the Citizens Comments portion of the meeting, several members of the audience shared their thoughts on the matter of recycling. Carl Murk shared that he would like to see the program stay for Sturgis residents. LINKC.

Sturgis Township Supervisor Von Metzger says the Township would be willing to work with the City to keep recycling available. LINKD.

City Manager Andrew Kuk shared with the Commission some e-mails he received from citizens that want to keep the program going. Members of the Commission also said they had been contacted by constituents about keeping recycling.

Sturgis’ contract with Borden Waste Away ends December 31. They were the only company that submitted bids for keeping the program going, but the cost was increased from $2 per month to $6 per month, meaning the City would have to pay approximately $150,000 to keep recycling.

MORE HEADLINES